Art Garfunkel Net Worth - From 'Sound Of Silence' To Solo Success
Art Garfunkel is a legendary American singer, songwriter, and actor who is widely regarded as one of the greatest vocalists of all time. His career spans over six decades, during which he has released numerous hit singles, collaborated with some of the biggest names in music and earned critical acclaim for his contributions to the arts. With such an illustrious career, it's natural to wonder what Art Garfunkel net worth is.
Quick Facts About Art Garfunkel
|Birthday||November 5, 1941|
|Net worth||$95 million|
Early Life Of Art Garfunkel
Art Garfunkel was born on November 5, 1941, in Forest Hills, Queens, New York City. His parents were Rose and Jacob Garfunkel, and he had two younger brothers, Jules and Jerome.
COPYRIGHT_PNW: Published on https://purenetworth.com/art-garfunkel-net-worth/ by - on 2023-03-13T08:47:48.908Z
Garfunkel showed an early interest in music and began singing in his school choir when he was just five years old. He met his future musical partner, Paul Simon, when they were both in sixth grade at PS 164 in Queens, and they became friends through their shared love of music.
Garfunkel attended Columbia University, where he studied mathematics and earned a bachelor's degree in 1962. While in college, he continued to pursue his passion for music, performing with Simon as part of the duo Tom & Jerry.
After graduation, Garfunkel briefly pursued a career in teaching but soon returned to music. He and Simon reunited as a duo and began performing together in coffeehouses and clubs in Greenwich Village, eventually catching the attention of a record producer who helped them secure a recording contract. The rest, as they say, is history.
Art Garfunkel Career And Achievements
Simon & Garfunkel - The Sound of Silence (from The Concert in Central Park)
Art Garfunkel is best known for his musical career as one-half of the folk-rock duo Simon & Garfunkel. He and Paul Simon first rose to fame in the mid-1960s with their hit song "The Sound of Silence," which topped the charts in the United States and propelled them to international success.
Simon & Garfunkel went on to release a string of iconic songs, including "Mrs. Robinson," "Bridge Over Troubled Water," "Homeward Bound," and "Scarborough Fair." Their music was known for its poetic lyrics, haunting melodies, and intricate harmonies, which were often sung in Garfunkel's distinctive tenor voice.
Over the course of their career, Simon & Garfunkel won 10 Grammy Awards and were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1990. Their music continues to be popular today and has been featured in numerous films and TV shows.
After Simon & Garfunkel disbanded in 1970, Garfunkel pursued a successful solo career, releasing several albums and charting multiple singles. He also dabbled in acting, appearing in films such as "Carnal Knowledge" and "Bad Timing."
In addition to his music and acting work, Garfunkel has also published several books, including a memoir titled "What Is It All but Luminous: Notes from an Underground Man," which was released in 2017.
Throughout his career, Garfunkel has been recognized for his contributions to music and the arts. In addition to his Grammy wins and Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction, he has also been honored with a Lifetime Achievement Award from the Recording Academy and a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame
Art Garfunkel Net Worth
Art Garfunkel's Lifestyle 2022 [Net Worth, House & Cars]
As of 2023, Art Garfunkel's net worth is estimated to be around $95 million. Much of Garfunkel's wealth comes from his music career, both as part of Simon & Garfunkel and as a solo artist. He has sold millions of records worldwide, and his music continues to be popular on streaming platforms and in digital downloads.
Garfunkel has also earned income from acting and writing. He published a memoir, "What Is It All but Luminous: Notes from an Underground Man," in 2017, which received positive reviews.
Personal Life Of Art Garfunkel
Garfunkel has been married twice and has two children. He is also known for his love of walking, having reportedly walked across the entire United States in the mid-1980s.
In recent years, Garfunkel has faced some health challenges, including vocal cord paresis, which has affected his ability to sing. However, he has continued to perform and tour, often incorporating spoken-word segments into his shows.
Interesting Facts About Art Garfunkel
- Art Garfunkel's nickname is "Tommy" - He was given this nickname by his childhood friend, Paul Simon when they were just teenagers.
- Garfunkel has a master's degree in mathematics from Columbia University - He earned his degree in 1967 after Simon & Garfunkel had already achieved widespread success.
- He's an avid reader - Garfunkel is a self-professed bookworm and has been known to carry a book with him everywhere he goes.
- Garfunkel has been involved in numerous collaborations throughout his career - He's worked with a wide range of musicians, including James Taylor, Diana Ross, and the Everly Brothers.
- He's an accomplished actor - In addition to his music career, Garfunkel has appeared in several films, including "Catch-22" and "Boxing Helena."
- Garfunkel was once banned from performing in Israel - In 2010, he was scheduled to perform in Israel, but his concert was canceled due to political tensions between Israel and Turkey, where Garfunkel had previously performed.
- He's a philanthropist - Garfunkel is involved in several charitable organizations and has donated his time and money to causes such as children's literacy and environmental conservation.
- Garfunkel was briefly a math teacher before his music career took off - He taught math at a high school in Connecticut for a short time before Simon & Garfunkel signed their first record deal.
- He's a lifelong vegetarian - Garfunkel has been a vegetarian since the late 1960s and is a strong advocate for animal rights and environmentalism.
- Garfunkel has perfect pitch - He has a rare ability to identify and reproduce any musical note without reference to another note.
People Also Ask
What Is Art Garfunkel's Vocal Range?
Art Garfunkel's vocal range is tenor, spanning over three octaves.
Why Did Art Garfunkel And Paul Simon Break Up?
Art Garfunkel and Paul Simon broke up as a result of creative differences and personal tensions that had been building up for several years.
How Many Grammy Awards Did Art Garfunkel Win?
Art Garfunkel won 2 Grammy Awards as a solo artist and 8 Grammy Awards as part of Simon & Garfunkel.
What Is Art Garfunkel's Biggest Hit?
Art Garfunkel's biggest hit is "Bridge Over Troubled Water," which topped the charts in multiple countries and has become one of the most iconic songs of all time.
Art Garfunkel net worth is estimated to be around $95 million. His wealth is a testament to his incredible talent and hard work throughout his career, as well as his business ventures and investments.
Despite facing personal and professional challenges over the years, Garfunkel has remained a beloved and respected figure in the music industry, and his legacy as a musician and performer will undoubtedly continue to inspire generations to come.