Suleiman Kerimov is a Russian businessman and politician who has made a name for himself as one of the wealthiest and most influential people in Russia. He is the founder of Nafta Moskva, a major investment company with a portfolio worth billions of dollars, and has served in the Russian parliament for over two decades.
Suleiman Kerimov net worthis in billions, Suleiman Kerimov is known for his lavish lifestyle and close ties to Russian President Vladimir Putin.
|March 12, 1966
Suleiman Kerimov was born on March 12, 1966, in the city of Derbent, which is located in the Republic of Dagestan, Russia. At the time of his birth, Dagestan was part of the Soviet Union. His father was a builder, and his mother was a nurse. Kerimov grew up in a modest family with six siblings.
Kerimov attended the local school in Derbent before enrolling at Dagestan State University in Makhachkala, where he studied financial accounting. After graduation, he worked as an accountant at a factory in Dagestan before moving to Moscow to work as a tax inspector.
It was during his time in Moscow that Kerimov began to make his mark in the business world. In 1993, he founded the investment company Nafta Moskva, which initially focused on oil trading but later expanded into other industries. Under Kerimov's leadership, Nafta Moskva became one of Russia's largest investment companies, with a portfolio worth billions of dollars.
Suleiman Kerimov wearing a blue coat
Suleiman Kerimov is best known for his business career, which has made him one of the wealthiest and most influential people in Russia. He is the founder and largest shareholder of the investment company Nafta Moskva, which has a diverse portfolio of assets across various industries.
Nafta Moskva's early success came from trading oil and other commodities. However, under Kerimov's leadership, the company gradually shifted its focus to investing in various businesses. Nafta Moskva became a major player in the Russian banking sector and invested in large companies such as Gazprom, Norilsk Nickel, and Sberbank. In 2008, the company acquired a controlling stake in Polyus Gold, Russia's largest gold producer.
Kerimov is also known for his involvement in sports. In 2011, he purchased the football club FC Anzhi Makhachkala, which he transformed into a major player in the Russian Premier League. Kerimov invested heavily in the club, signing high-profile players such as Samuel Eto'o and Roberto Carlos. However, he later sold the club due to financial difficulties.
Suleiman Kerimov's political career began in 2008 when he was appointed to the Federation Council of Russia, the upper house of the Russian parliament, by the President of Russia. Kerimov represents the Republic of Dagestan, his home region, in the Federation Council.
Kerimov has been an influential figure in Russian politics and is considered to be politically aligned with Russian President Vladimir Putin. He has been involved in various political initiatives and has supported government policies on a range of issues.
Kerimov has also been involved in diplomatic efforts on behalf of the Russian government. In 2018, he was one of several Russian businessmen who were sanctioned by the United States government as part of a response to Russia's alleged interference in the 2016 US Presidential election. Following the sanctions, Kerimov was briefly detained by French authorities in Nice, France, on suspicion of tax evasion. However, he was released without charge and returned to Russia.
Suleiman Kerimov's net worth is estimated to be around $10.5 billion, as of 2023. He is one of the wealthiest people in Russia and the world. Kerimov's wealth primarily comes from his business ventures, particularly his investment company Nafta Moskva, which has a diverse portfolio of assets across various industries. Nafta Moskva has investments in companies such as Gazprom, Norilsk Nickel, Sberbank, and Polyus Gold, among others.
Kerimov has also made significant investments in real estate, particularly in the French Riviera, where he owns several luxury villas and mansions. Suleiman Kerimov's net worth is a reflection of his successful business career and investments, as well as his extensive real estate holdings.
Suleiman Kerimov wearing a black suit
Suleiman Kerimov is known to have an extensive real estate portfolio, with properties located in several countries around the world. Some of his notable real estate holdings include:
- French Riviera properties- Kerimov owns several luxury villas and mansions on the French Riviera, which is a popular destination for wealthy Russians. His properties include the Villa Hier, a sprawling estate located in Cap d'Antibes that reportedly cost him around $150 million.
- United States mansion- In 2008, Kerimov reportedly purchased a 65,000-square-foot mansion in the United States for $300 million. The property, located in Fairfield, Connecticut, is said to be one of the most expensive residential properties ever sold in the United States.
- Moscow properties- Kerimov owns several properties in Moscow, including a luxurious penthouse in the elite district of Patriarch's Ponds. The penthouse reportedly features a private elevator, a swimming pool, and a rooftop terrace.
- Singapore property - In 2011, Kerimov reportedly purchased a luxury apartment in the upscale Sentosa Cove development in Singapore. The apartment, which features a private pool and a view of the ocean, is said to have cost him around $40 million.
- Monaco properties- Kerimov owns several properties in Monaco, including a luxury apartment in the upscale La Belle Epoque development. The development features a spa, a swimming pool, and 24-hour concierge services.
Suleiman Kerimov has been involved in various philanthropic efforts throughout his career, particularly in his home region of Dagestan in Russia. Here are some of the notable philanthropic initiatives that Kerimov has been involved in:
- Dagestan State University- Kerimov has donated funds to support the development of the Dagestan State University, including the construction of new buildings and facilities.
- Healthcare initiatives- Kerimov has donated funds to support healthcare initiatives in Dagestan, including the construction of a modern hospital in the city of Kizilyurt.
- Education initiatives- Kerimov has also supported education initiatives in Dagestan, including the establishment of a scholarship program for students from low-income families.
- Sports initiatives- Kerimov has been a supporter of sports in Dagestan, particularly combat sports such as wrestling and boxing. He has donated funds to support the development of sports facilities and training programs in the region.
- Cultural initiatives- Kerimov has supported cultural initiatives in Dagestan, including the restoration of historic buildings and the preservation of cultural heritage.
In addition to his philanthropic initiatives in Dagestan, Kerimov has also been involved in various charitable activities in other parts of the world, including donating funds to support disaster relief efforts and medical research.
Suleiman Kerimov wearing a blue sweater
- Kerimov was born into a family of modest means in the Dagestan region of Russia. He worked his way up through the ranks of the financial industry and eventually became one of Russia's wealthiest people.
- Kerimov is known for his love of sports, particularly soccer and combat sports such as wrestling and boxing. He has sponsored several sports teams and athletesover the years, including the Anzhi Makhachkala soccer team in Russia.
- Kerimov is a trained engineer and has a degree in civil engineering from Dagestan State University. He also holds a Ph.D. in economics from the Moscow State Institute of International Relations.
- Kerimov is known for his love of luxury and has a large collection of luxury cars, private jets, and yachts. He is reported to have spent over $100 million on his personal yacht, the Ice, which features a helicopter pad, a swimming pool, and a spa.
- Kerimov has been involved in several high-profile legal battles over the years, including a dispute with Swiss authorities over his ownership of a luxury villa in the Swiss Alps. He has also been involved in a dispute with fellow Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich over ownership of the Norilsk Nickel mining company.
- Kerimov has been involved in several philanthropic initiatives over the years, particularly in his home region of Dagestan. He has donated funds to support healthcare, education, and sports initiatives in the region.
Suleiman Kerimov is the founder of the investment company Nafta Moskva, which has a portfolio that includes interests in oil, gas, metals, banking, and telecommunications.
Suleiman Kerimov is a member of the Federation Council of Russia, the upper house of the Russian parliament, and is considered to be politically aligned with Russian President Vladimir Putin.
Suleiman Kerimov is widely respected in Russia for his business acumen and contributions to the country's economy, as well as his political influence.
Suleiman Kerimov is the former owner of the football club FC Anzhi Makhachkala and is known for his interest in sports, particularly football.
Suleiman Kerimov's net worth is a testament to his success as an entrepreneurand investor. Through his leadership of Nafta Moskva, he has built a massive portfolio of assets and helped shape the Russian economy. His political career has also been influential, and he is widely considered to be one of the most powerful politiciansin Russia. While he is known for his extravagant lifestyle, Suleiman Kerimov's contributions to business and politics have earned him respect and admiration around the world.